Nine Days And Nine Forms Of Durga
Nine days and nine forms of Durga
- The nine days of the Navratra have been divided among nine forms of Durga.Shailputri: The first day (pratipada) belongs to “Shailputri”. This name is synonyms with Parvati, daughter of Himalaya. She took an oath to marry Lord Shiva and she is worshiped for this rock solid determination. The underline moral is to work hard for achieving success.Brahmacharini: The second day (dwitiya) is reserved for “Brahmacharini”. She is considered as a storehouse of knowledge and wisdom. She was created by “Brahma” for sustenance of the world for which knowledge was very important. She wears “Rudraksha” and lives like a “Brahmacharini”.
Chandraghanta: The third day (Tritiya) is the day for the worship of “Chandraghanta”. She emits a cool hallow like Moon and teaches the importance of good behavior, soft and sweet speech and gentle manners. She is the controller of anger and a protector from evils.
Kushmanda: The fourth day (Chaturthi) is the day for worship of the devi in “pindi form”. This form has produced the name “Kushmanda”. The goddess possesses 8 arms and mounts on a tiger. She has the power to save her devotees from trouble.
Skandmata: The fifth day (Panchmi) is the day of “Skandmata”. Skand is the name of “Sanat Kumar” who was looked after by the mother. She has the unique power to transform even the ignorant into knowledgeable. She blessed “Kalidas” for creating two epics “Raghuvansha” and “Meghadoot”.
Katyayini: The sixth day (Shasthi) is the day of worshiping mother “Katyayini” she spent her time in penance in the ashram of “Katyayan Rishi”. She experimented with different techniques and therefore her name is remembered for research. She drives her devotees towards acquiring more knowledge.
Kalratri: The seventh day (Saptami) is the day for worshiping the seventh form of Durga- “Kalratri”. She is the destroyer of darkness and brings light to the world. She protects from enemies and makes her devotees free from fear.
Mahagauri: The eighth day (ashtami) is reserved for the 8th form of Durga. “Mahagauri” is the name of Parvati and her “Siddh peeth” is at “Kankhal” near Haridwar which is close to Himalaya. She is the mother of Lord Ganesh and Lord Kartikeya.
Siddhidatri: The ninth day (Navami) is reserved for the worship of the ninth form of Durga – “Siddhidatri”. She is capable of awarding every boon and is the ultimate power in this respect.
- 1. Goddess Shailputri
- Navratri commences with worshipping of Shailputri . The goddess is the first form of Durga and rides on a bull with a trident and lotus in her hands.
- Mantra: Om aim hring kleem chamundaye vichche.
- 2. Maa Brahmacharini
- Brahmacharini signifies love, affection and loyalty. Also, known as the storehouse of wisdom and knowledge, the Devi holds a rosary and Kumbha (water pot) in her hands. Her sacred ornaments are the beads of Rudraksha.
- Mantra: Ya Devi Sarva Bhuteshu Maa Brahmacharini Rupen Sansthita |
- Namastasye Namastasye Namastasye Namoh Namah ||
- 3. Devi Chandraghanta
- The goddess got her name as she has a half- circular moon on her forehead. With a golden colored look, the Devi has 3 eyes and 10 hands. Chandraghanta is the goddess of peace and tranquillity and is mostly worshipped in the state of Tamil Nadu.
- Mantra: Ya Devi Sarvbhoote Shumaa Chandra-Ghanta-Rupen Sansthita|
- Namastasyai Namastasyai Namastasyai Namo Namah||
- 4. Goddess Kushmanda
- Kushmanda resides in Bhima Parvat and shines as the aura of sun. Her vehicle is a tiger and she has eight arms.
- Mantra : Sura Sampurna Kalasam Rudhira Plutmev Cha |
- Dadhana Hastpad Mabhyam Kushmanda Shubh Dastu Me ||
- 5. Skanda Mata:
- The ocean of knowledge is this goddess who sits with her skanda (son) in her lap. She has 4 hands and 3 eyes, the Skanda Mata rides on a lion.
- Mantra: Sinhasan Gata Nityam Padmashrit Kardvaya |
- Shubhdastu Sada Devi Skanda Mata Yashashvini ||
- 6. Maa Katyayani
- Maa Katyayani is known to bless the women with husband of their wish and choice. Observing fast for the Goddess is very helpful for the women whose marriage is getting delayed. Devi Katyayani gives strength and ability to overcome fears, diseases and miseries of life.
- Mantra: Chandra Hasojvalakara Shardul Var Vahna |
- Katyayini Shubham Dadhya Devi Dan Vaghatini ||
- 7. Maa Kaalratri
- Maa Kalratri is the destroyer of ignorance and the enemy of darkness. She has black or blue appearance. The goddess has a donkey as her vehicle.
- Mantra: Ekveni Japakarnapura Nagna Kharastitha |
- Lamboshthi Karnikakarni Tailabhyakta Sharirani ||
- Vaampadolla Salloh Lata Kanthak Bhushna |
- Vardhan Murdha Dhvaja Krishna Kalratri Bhayankari ||
- 8. Maha Gauri
- Maha Gauri shines as white as Moon and believed to be the Devi of compassion and peace. Riding on a bull, Maha Gauri holds a trident and drum in her hands.
- Mantra: Shwete Vrishe Maha Rudha Shwetambardhara Shuchih |
- Maha Gauri Shubham Dadhyanmahadev Pramodada ||
- 9. Siddhidatri
- Siddhidatri is the Goddess who gives Shakti (power) to lord Shiva. It is because of her gratitude only that the lord became Ardhanarishvara (half men and half women).
- Mantra: Sidhha Gandharvay khshadher Surair Marair Api |
- Sevya Mana Sada Bhooyat Siddhida Siddhidayini ||
Nine Days And Nine Forms Of Durga
More from my site